Friday 28 October 2011

Shouldn't we all do what our heart desires?

I know some people wonder why I do not work. And I know some other people think because both of my children are at school I should get a job. So I wanted to clear the issue up for those people and for anyone else who is interested.
I do.
I am a writer
An artist
and most important I am a mother.
And I work pretty hard at all of these jobs.
 I know that my work is not bringing in money but I believe if I keep working at it I will start earning. I could get a conventional job that would bring in some money but I would be limited in what I can do because my skills and all of my training are in the arts and jobs in that field are few and far between.

 Then there is the issue of my mental health that I have to consider. I am well at the moment. But stress triggers mood episodes and because of this the doctors have advised me to lead as stress free life as possible. I know myself well enough to know that doing a job I do not enjoy would stress me. And I am not willing to make myself sick for money.

 What are my plans?

I have a book of poems with a publisher that is going to be published early next year and I will earn a small commission from the sales of that book. Once that book has been published I am then in a good position to apply for a grant to work on my next book and there are grants available in Australia for up to $40,000.
There are many art prizes also in Australia so I am planning to start entering in those too even I if I don't win it is a good way of networking and getting exposure.

As a family we want to become as self sufficient as possible and that will require work on my part also.

Lastly my most important job, being a mum. It is very important to me to always be available, physically and emotionally for my girls. They are only children for a comparatively short time and I want to be there for of as much of it as I can. I also want my children to grow up believing you can follow your hearts desires.

Shouldn't we all strive to do what is important to us and what we enjoy?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your upcoming publication! :)

    I'm glad you wrote this post because I long to write for a living too, but I keep getting discouraged.

    I come across 2 sorts of people when I tell them about my writing dream: the 1st type are the people who think I should get a "real job", a job that is more stable and is guaranteed money, the 2nd type are the ones that encourage me to pursue my dreams no matter the cost.

    I have been trying to follow my heart's desire but sometimes I question how selfish my dream is. But I would like to write a novel that will help others.

    ReplyDelete